Skin is the largest and most sensitive part of our body. Thus, changing weather conditions tend to have a significant impact on the texture, complexion, and elasticity of the skin. Temperature changes and humidity levels affect the pH balance of our skin, leaving it vulnerable to breakouts and allergies. However, the intensity of changes in the skin may vary from person to person, depending upon factors like genetic makeup, skin type, and level of sun exposure. During the cold season, most people develop excessive dry, red, and tight skin due to lack of moisture whereas summers can be super harsh on people with oily and acne-prone skin. Therefore, it is essential to adjust your skincare regimen with the seasonal transitions and adopt new methods to prevent skin problems and maintain consistency in your skin complexion.
As per skincare expert Arthi Raguram, Founder- Deyga Organics, Low temperatures and cold winds brought upon by winters can cause the skin to become dehydrated, red, and irritated due to the lack of moisture in the air and low humidity levels. Sometimes, excessive dead and flaky skin in cold weather can contribute to breakouts and acne. Skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis can also flare up during dry and cold weather. Some skin care tips that can help maintain adequate hydration in the skin are:
- Opt for a thick moisturizing cream and apply it every day during the morning and night. For best results, use moisturizer immediately after bathing when the skin is moist.
- Since the skin becomes highly sensitive during winters, use gentle and non-scented products.
- Bathe in warm water instead of hot water to avoid dryness.
- Use sunscreen every day.
- Incorporate essential oils like rosehip seed oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, etc. to nourish and hydrate the skin.
High temperatures and prolonged sun exposure can create a lot of skin inflammatory issues and pigmentation problems. Besides, warm weather accompanied by increased humidity can leave the skin oily and pores clogged Also, wearing makeup during hot weather can create a shiny appearance, that does not look great for socializing. Here are some tips that can help to maintain flawless summer skin without any skin troubles.
- Opt for a gentle facial cleanser that maintains the right pH balance.
- Choose a lightweight or gel-based moisturizer and apply it apply during the morning and night.
- Apply physical sunscreen while going out but make sure to choose one that does not break you out.
- Do not wear heavy makeup every day. Wear BB or CC cream instead of foundation and opt for powder products more.
- Avoid sitting in the air conditioning for long hours.
High humidity levels can cause a range of skin issues, especially for those with oily or combination skin types. Frequent breakouts, dullness, and clogged pores are common skin troubles during monsoons. Here are a few tips to maintain a glowing and smooth skin for the rainy season.
- Wash your face with water more frequently.
- Use a gel-based moisturizer and sunscreen.
- Avoid wearing makeup or use only powder products.
- Exfoliate your skin with gentle scrubs or chemical-based exfoliants.
- Avoid consumption of processed foods and dairy.
To keep your skin safe in all seasons, you must follow all the instructions mentioned in this article. It is important to provide your skin with necessary love and care.
Image credits- freepik