We all strive to make that extra effort to look fabulous, and especially when it comes to our skin, we dream for that glowing, dewy, supple skin that is the perfect canvas for applying makeup or even to go bare. More than expensive creams, night creams, and serums, it’s the diet we follow that makes a huge difference. As they say, what you eat reflects on your skin. So, if your daily diet includes eating rich cheesy pizzas, fried foods and glugging down litres of aerated drinks, your skin will show tell-tale signs regardless of what you do. Have you ever come across someone with gorgeous skin who says they don’t eat right? In fact, most celebs credit their porcelain textured skin to eating right and drinking gallons of water everyday. When we are asked to eat right, it doesn’t mean skip your favourites. It simply means including food that is nutrient dense and healthy, and superfoods perfectly fit the bill. When you eat nutrient-rich food, your skin will glow from within. In this post, we list down 12 superfoods that women with glowing skin swear by.
What are Superfoods?
Now, we must have come across this term quite a bit and just to quickly reiterate what superfoods are – well they are nutritious powerhouses that are packed with nutrients – vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, polyphenols, and a lot of other good stuff. Not only are these rich foods vital for the overall health, but help fight chronic ailments and are highly beneficial for your skin and hair. Nutritionists and dieticians swear by them and often encourage people to incorporate into their daily diet. The best thing about them they are low in calories yet jam-packed with nutrients. So, you can’t really ever have enough of them.
Here’s a countdown of some of the most powerful superfoods to lay your hands on for gorgeous skin.
16 Superfoods For Glowing Skin:
1. Tomatoes: Tomatoes fall under this prestigious category due their content of a rare antioxidant called ‘lycopene’ which protects the skin against harsh UV rays. Now, we all know that sun-protected skin is a major step towards amazing skin as it evades skin ageing signs like wrinkles, dark spots, pigmentation, and open pores and so on. Tomatoes are also abundant in Vitamin C which promotes healthy and brighter skin. Some people rub tomatoes on their face as an astringent or natural bleaching agent too.
2. Amla/Indian Gooseberry: High level of vitamin C in amla boosts collagen production, brightens complexion, and the antioxidants fight free radicals and make skin smooth and supple.
3. Blueberries: What makes these gorgeous blue berries a superfood is the presence of phytonutrients that aid in neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are the agents that are responsible for skin ageing and cell damage. So, by eating fresh blueberries, you can combat skin impairment and keep your skin looking young and vibrant. Pop some in your yogurts and smoothies next time, especially since you know your skin will thank you immensely.
4. Beetroot: Beetroots have been identified as one vegetable which can benefit skin amazingly well – applied topically as well as when made part of the daily diet. Beetroot detoxifies and cleanses the body, reduces inflammation, and prevents premature ageing with its abundant antioxidants and vitamin C, A, and K levels. Beetroot is great for weight loss as well because it is low in calories and is a good source of iron, folate, magnesium, and other essential minerals. Read about “6 Ways to Use Beetroot Juice for Glowing Skin.”
5. Kale: If you thought spinach was an awesome and highly nutritious green leafy vegetable, well Kale is the mother of nutritious green leafy vegetables and hence, fondly known as the ‘queen of greens’. Kale also contains a phytonutrient and not to forget high vitamin A, C and K content. It’s often compared to oranges in terms of the presence of Vitamin C and we know how great Vitamin C is for the skin. Vitamin A present in Kale helps in repairing skin tissues and any skin damage whilst Vitamin K is absolutely great for under eye dark circles. Hence, often used in many eye creams. You can have it as a salad, sautéed or crispy fried.
6. Black Beans: These small little wonders are extremely high in protein, yet, they don’t contain any saturated fat that is normally found in meat proteins. Proteins are crucial for the skin as collagen which is the skin’s cement. So, as to say, is necessary for beautiful skin. Black beans also contain antioxidants which are great for skin protection against external and internal factors like sun, pollution and stress.
7. Green Moong: Rich in vitamin A and C, and of course protein, green moong is absolutely great for your skin. The best thing is that you can use green moong powder to exfoliate skin as well. Here’s the recipe of an ubtan with green moong that you can make at home.
8. Broccoli: This contains phytonutrients and a good dose of Vitamin C as well as Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), both of which are essential for healthy glowing skin cells. Load your plates with broccoli girls as it’s super good for your skin!
9. Salmon: This fish is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids which are critical for the body and skin as they improve inflammation and blood circulation. It also contains the mineral Selenium which prevents cell damage and aids in anti-ageing. Also, this fish is packed with Vitamin B.
10. Oats: Whether you consume them in your porridge, as cookies or as a savory snack, Oats are brimming with proteins, fibers, magnesium, potassium and phytonutrients. Who’d think these boring little grains are so nourishing! If you thought applying them to your face was good enough, you can eat your heart away as the fibers present in oats help in removing toxins from the body. Thus, promoting flawless skin and help in building collagen, thanks to its protein content.
11. Almonds: Daily consumption of almonds not only makes skin smooth and supple, it fights signs of ageing such as wrinkles and hyperpigmentation as well. Almonds are rich in healthy fats, vitamin E, and other essential minerals that are absolutely great for skin.
12. Walnuts: Crammed with Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E, what more could your skin ask for. Vitamin E is skin’s best friend and is beneficial for skin repair due to the presence of antioxidants. Women all over the world crave to buy pure Vitamin E oil to smother on their face for that natural lustre and its anti-ageing properties. So, why not start eating it.
13. Coconut: The healthy fats in coconut nourish skin from within and help to keep wrinkles at bay. The lauric acid content has anti-bacterial properties as well.
14. Kiwis: This is by far one of my favourite fruits and I love to cut them in half and scoop out the tangy flesh with a teaspoon whilst still in its peel. Not only do they taste delicious and refreshing, but their high Vitamin C and antioxidant content are amazing for preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
15. Dark Chocolate: Yuuuuum! Believe it or not dark chocolate protects skin from sun induced damage and keeps your skin hydrated. And, it does not cause acne, girls! So, do keep a bar or two in your handbag. However, don’t go indulging in milk chocolates by mistake. As to reap the most benefits for your skin, the chocolate must be dark with at least 60-70 percent cocoa.
16. Flaxseeds: Whether in the seed form or oil form, these seeds are filled with Omega-3 fatty acids and are highly sought after these days by people all over the world. For skin care, Flaxseeds help minimize skin inflammation, skin irritation and keep your skin hydrated and smooth. The rich fatty acid content also ensures that your skin stays supple and moisturized.
Other than these great foods which fall in the superfoods category, do eat a lot of other fruits, vegetables, milk/milk products and meats which are rich in nutrients and various minerals that add vitality and nourishment to your skin. And, whilst your busy munching away on them, don’t forget to make some home made natural face packs for that extra TLC for your skin.