A lot of things keep bothering us on a daily basis and we do not need dandruff to be one of them. Dandruff does not only make your scalp itchy, it also triggers hair fall and causes bumps on the scalp, and pimples on the forehead. We know you can do anything and everything to get rid of this problem and we are happy to help. In today’s post, we list out 10 Natural Ingredients To Get Rid of Dandruff and ways to use them if you don’t want white dandruff flakes falling on your black dress!
1. Curd: Curd with its anti-microbial properties can help in treating dandruff and other scalp issues. Take one cup of curd and apply it all over scalp and hair, leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Avoid shampooing.
2. Tea Tree Oil: You must have seen some shampoos with anti-dandruff claim including tea tree oil as an ingredient. And that’s because tea tree oil has excellent anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that fights dandruff and itchy scalp. If you do not want to invest in separate tea tree shampoo, add some tea tree oil drops in your regular shampoo and massage it well into scalp. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil in coconut oil and apply it regularly to completely get rid of dandruff issue.
3. Fenugreek Seeds/Methi: Methi is well known for its anti-fungal benefits. Soak 2 tbsp of methi seeds overnight, and the next morning grind it to a smooth paste. Apply on the scalp the next morning, rinse off after 20 minutes, and rinse hair with lukewarm water.
4. Neem Oil: Neem has high anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which when applied on the scalp effectively treats itchy and flaky scalp. If you are getting pimples because of dandruff, applying neem leave paste is a great antidote.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar: If you have dry scalp and dandruff, using ACV can be of great help. You can mix equal parts of vinegar and water and wash your hair with it after shampooing. You can also use concentrated apple cider vinegar for severe dandruff problems. You can take half a cup of apple cider vinegar and add 2-3 tablespoons of water in it. Transfer it in a spray bottle and spray it on you scalp. Massage and leave it for a few hours and then wash it off using shampoo.
6. Lemon Juice: Using lemon juice on your scalp once a week can keep dandruff at bay forever. But you should not use concentrated lemon juice directly to the scalp. You can dilute lemon juice with a little water and apply it on the scalp. Mixing lemon juice to henna pack is also another great way to incorporate it in your hair care routine.
7. Aloe Vera: Applying aloe vera juice to the scalp removes dandruff and also soothes itchy scalp. If you have severe dandruff, you must use aloe vera for immediate effect it cools down the inflammation and also helps in a long run. You can apply the store bought gels or extract some fresh gel from the leaves. You can use it alone or mix it to any hair pack of your choice.
8. Garlic: It has potent anti-microbial properties that can treat pimples, dandruff. You can crush garlic and apply the paste on your scalp. If the smell is too strong for you, you can always mix some honey to it. Massage the mixture on your scalp for 10-15 minutes, leave it for an hour and then shampoo your hair. You will see great results within a few weeks.
9. Fuller’s Earth: Multani mitti or Fuller’s earth exfoliates and deeply cleanses the scalp. To make a mask, take 4 tbsp of Fuller’s Earth, add 2 tbsp of lemon juice, and 2 tbsp of curd. Mix everything well and apply this paste onto the scalp. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes. Use this mask once or twice a week to see a good difference. Read about “5 Effective Multani Mitti Hair Packs to Clear Dandruff.”
10. Onion Juice: You can use onion juice to stop hair fall, to boost hair growth, and also to clear dandruff. Extract fresh onion juice and apply it on the scalp using a cotton ball. Let it sit in the hair for one hour and rinse off with a mild shampoo. Also check out these “5 Onion Hair Packs to Control Hair Fall.”
All these ingredients fight dandruff effectively and you can cure other scalp issues by using them regularly in the haircare routine.